December 20, 2011

MIXTAPE: see Obituary for the birth of death metal



I’ll tell you what, there is real and then there is everything else. Real death metal is Obituary. On the scene – that didn’t exist before them – since the mid ‘80s. Just fuck right off with almost every fucking death metal band out today. Every one of them is trying to copy Obituary and Cannibal Corpse. Throw Napalm Death (slightly different semantics genre), Deicide, Malevolent Creation and a few others in there and you have the godfathers. Obituary is fucking titan.

I got into them around 1990. My brother had “Cause Of Death” (1990). I listened to the tape (cassette) and loved the music. SO incredibly heavy over the Metallica, Motley Crue and Ozzy I was into. This was my first death metal. True story: I used to take my brother’s tapes and make my own riff mixes of Obituary – minus the vocals. I couldn’t get into the vocal at first. Obituary was the first band I did that with. I feel like I’ve been making “riff” mixes my whole life and I just realized while writing this that Obituary is the band that started it for me. Then, pretty much all of a sudden, the vocal growls worked for me. Hello Gorguts and on and on and on.

Obituary was my gateway drug to death metal.

And I’ve never left. Never will. I’ve seen them live twice – 1992 (with Cannibal Corpse, Agnostic Front and Malevolent Creation) and again in 2007 (with Full Blown Chaos). And I can’t wait for their new album slated for the first half of 2012.

So death metal rookies, or people that were always curious but never checked out Obituary, or for those that consider Black Dahlia Murder an old band (love them by the way) – then this mixtape is for you. Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. This was pretty awesome. Worst Metal album covers ever. My only question is…..how deathly hardcore and bad-ass can you be if it take you 2 hours to put on makeup everyday? http://doodiepants.com/2010/09/03/worst-heavy-metal-album-covers/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks - ashamed to say am a newbie to Obituary, and you sell them so well!

    ReplyDelete